Best Laptops for Software Engineering Students
Laptops are important tools that are equally beneficial for both professionals and students. In this era of technology, every person is required in every field of life. The requirement of one field is different from the other due to this market being full of different types of laptops having different specifications according to the demand of the fields.
The same is the case with software engineers. Software engineering is a vast field and involves the use of high-performance laptops that may be able to run with different heavy software.
Being a software engineer the professionals have to deal with the creation, improvement, and maintenance of the software and for all these purposes the laptop should be tip-top. In this article, we have listed the best laptops for software engineering that may make their work easy for them.
It is the reality that any professional wants the best tool for their work that would be able to meet all the demands of this. There is nothing more irritating than the poor performance of your laptop or PC while working. Software engineering involves working on programming, building, and developing computer software, designing new ones, and modifying the specific software.
It is not easy to understand it as all the processes are done via coding. The computer software is evaluated and tested through PHP, CSS, and HTML. To deal with such a profession choose the laptop that has a high-performance processor, more RAM, storage, and good graphic cards.
Best Laptops For Software Engineering
Here are some of the best laptops for software engineers that exactly meet their demands for work.
- Apple MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
- OEM Lenovo ThinkPad X1 extreme PC
- Asus Chromebook flips C436F/C436FA
- HP EliteBook 840 G5 Notebook PC
- HP Spectre x360
- LG Gram 17
- Dell XPS 15
- Microsoft Surface Pro 7
Apple MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
- Display: 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit widescreen display with IPS technology
- Storage: 256 GB or 512 GB SSD
- RAM: 8 GB – 16 GB
- Graphics: Integrated 7-core /8-core GPU
- CPU: System on Chip (SoC) Apple M1 chip; 8-core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores; Up to 8-core GPU; 16-core Neural Engine
- Touch ID: Yes
- Ports: 2- thunderbolt ports
- Battery life: up to 18- hours
Wherever you go for purchasing the best laptops for software engineers and programmers, you can’t ignore the great services of Apple’s in this wake. This well-known brand offers a lot of best performing computers and laptops for professionals of every field. For software engineers and program professionals, Apple MacBook Air (M1, 2020) is the best choice.
This laptop is equipped with an Apple M1 chip based on ARM that powers the laptop for stunning work so that it may provide excellent performance. The other most amazing thing that favors it for software and programming is its excellent battery timing. You can work up to 11 hours on this laptop with a single charge without any interruption. This one is perfect for editing, programming and action games.
The laptop has a 13.3 inches retinal display that provides new realism to the images and gives them a sharp and active look. The 8GB superfast memory makes the entire system speedy and perfect for opening of multi-tabs and memory hogging browsing. The CPU is suitable for heavy performance and delivers high-quality tasks while consuming much power. The mac can work properly with all Apple’s devices.
- Sleek and versatile look
- Light in weight & good for students
- Excellent battery life
- Performs noiseless operation
- USB ports are absent
- Hardware requires modifications
OEM Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme PC
- Display: 15.6″ FHD (1920×1080) IPS
- CPU: Intel Hexa Core i7-10750H [6 Cores] (2.6GHz – 5.0GHz, 12 MB Cache)
- RAM: 64 GB, DDR4 2933MHz
- Storage: 1 TB NVMe
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti 4 GB / Intel UHD
- Ports: USB ports, HDMI with SD card reader,
- Others: webcam, Integrated Li-Polymer 80Wh battery
Lenovo ThinkPad is one of the best laptops of the OEM genuine brand that is especially designed for software engineers and programmers with required specifications. It is the perfect laptop for animation for students as it facilitates them with a strongly designed hard card of carbon fiber & aluminum package. This laptop comes with unique features and design that is impressive and highly-performance for software engineers and programmers.
The 15.6 inches FHD display is perfect for high-quality images and videos. This makes it a suitable choice for professionals such as architects, and those in the design industry. You can create fantastic multimedia and enjoy excellent video animation via it. It is durable in its working. All the features are productive and time saving. For complete security of the data and files, it facilitates the users with fingerprint security systems. The Graphics card is perfect to deal with 2D and 3D models and programs.
- Reliable and durable structure
- Best display for dealing every type of work
- Quality of the computer parts is poor
Asus Chromebook flips C436F/C436FA
- Display: 14-inch touchscreen Full HD 1920×1080
- CPU: Intel Core i5-10210U Processor (6M Cache)
- Storage: 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- RAM: 10 GB LPDDR3
- Graphics: 16 GB Intel HD Graphics
- Wireless type: Bluetooth, 802.11ax
Asus is also one of the well-known brands for high-quality laptops for every field for professionals, beginners and students. There are a lot of the best laptops of Asus in the market for programmers and software students and among them the Chromebook Flip C436F is one of the best one and more suitable for software engineers.
This laptop has a 14- inches display with 4- sides’ frameless Nano Edge technology that makes the 14- inches screen to fit in the body of a 13- inches laptop. It is easy to flip into different modes such as tent, stand and tablet mode. This notebook has Bluetooth and wireless connectivity options for super performance. Due to high RAM and storage, you can easily save the data and run it on heavy software. For floppy discs, USB ports are also available. The body is made up of magnesium alloy that is light and makes carrying a laptop easy and convenient.
- Light in weight and easy to carry
- Screen and keyboard, both are of maximum size
- Comes with sensitive touchscreen
- Long battery life
- Provides work at fast speed
- Comes with a lot of flaws, especially in the graphics
- Poor quality control
HP EliteBook 840 G5 Notebook PC
- Display: 14 Inch FHD Anti-Glare (1920×1080) (NON-TOUCH) with ultra- viewing angle
- CPU: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
- Storage: 256 SSD
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4
- Battery life: about 8- hours
- Wireless type: 802.11
- Ports: various USB ports
For software development, the features of the required laptop should be excellent and compatible with the requirements of work. HP is also on the top list of best brands that provides high-class laptops and computers for professionals. The MateBook notebook is one of those best laptops. It is most suitable for light software coding and HTML, CSS and all the basic coding. It comes with unique specifications and features for software engineers and programmers.
EliteBook 840 G5 notebook is one of the best laptops with a 14- inches non-touch display having anti-glare quality. The 1.60GHz processor provides excellent and superfast speed for dealing with heavy software. The processor is the perfect one for word press; Shopify apps and development of different programming languages such as CSS, HTML, and liquid programming languages. The hard drive is perfect to deal with small-scale applications. It is suitable for professionals, beginners, small business and education.
- Unique and versatile laptop with compact size
- Affordable price
- Fingerprint reader fails to work after some days
HP Spectre x360:
- Display: 13.3″ Multitouch Screen BrightView Glossy Screen
- Processor: 1.1 GHz core_i5
- Storage: 256SSD
- RAM: 8GB System Memory
The other excellent and super performing laptop of HP is Spectre *360 for programmers and web developers. It provides satisfactory products to the developers and all others. This 2-in-1 laptop facilitates the users with a lot of benefits such as reducing the time of work performance and has long battery life. You can work at high speed for a long time without any interruption.
Also, read: Best Laptops For Financial Modeling
Also, read: Best laptops for Revit & AutoCAD
This laptop from HP comes with a bright and glossy screen of 13.3 inches with 3840 x 2160 resolutions for high-quality images and videos. It works with AMOLED technology and AMOLED backlit. The design of the laptop is unique and sleek, and you can flip and fold the laptop at an angle of 360 degree for ease of work. The storage is enough for managing the small applications, light software, multiple programs and browsing.
- Light in weight
- Compact size and easy to carry
- Perfect for dealing with small applications and light software
- Vibrant screen
- Good battery timing
- Excellent touch screen with compatible touch pen
- Noisy fan that becomes whiny during load
- Quality of webcam is not good
LG Gram 17
- Display: 17 Inch WQXGA (2560 x 1600) resolution
- Processor: 1.8 GHz core_i7
- Storage: 512 GB Flash Memory Solid State
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 610
- Battery: 72Wh lithium-ion battery with 19.5 hours of life
For coding and programming, LG gram 17 is the best and suitable laptop. The excellent features of this laptop provide portability and lightweight makes it able to be taken away. That means you can easily carry it as a student or professional. It is a unique and high-quality device for everyone. This large screen laptop comes with incredible light and long battery time, and these two qualities make it perfect for programmers.
The high-resolution screen display provides high-quality images and videos. The size of the screen is large enough, and it provides excellent portability to the users. The battery time is enough to handle all the work of the day. It provides superfast speed for heavy workload and coding of different programming languages.
- Large display screen with high-resolution power
- Incredible portability and durable structure
- Good for travelling due to light weight
- Touchpad is not good
- It is not good for thunderbolt 3
Dell XPS 13 9360
- Display: 13.3″ FHD (1920 x 1080) infinity edge non-touch Display
- Processor: Core i5-10210U-7200u with turbo boost up
- Storage: 256 GB Solid State Drive without optical drive
- RAM: 8 GB LPDDR3
- Graphics: Intel HD graphics
- Battery time: 10- hours
- Operating system: Windows10
- Wireless connectivity: Bluetooth, 802.11ac
This Ultrabook is the best choice for the software engineers with the best windows and features. It is specifically designed for chemical, electrical, computer, and software engineers with super specifications. The core i5 processor of this laptop is perfect for dealing with all the software and coding programs.
Core i3 was not good for 3D CAD/CAE software, that is why Dell modified the system and updated it to i5 that can easily run 3D CAD/CAE software even if you don’t have a dedicated Graphics card. Although it is not convertible, even then it provides excellent performance for engineering students.
The touch laptop of Dell is not useful for engineers. It is perfect for dealing with solid projects without a graphics card, but not for the large and heavy work without a dedicated graphics card. The display is of aluminum that makes it durable and light.
- Good for small projects
- Come with installed Windows 10
- Long battery time
- Not good for large projects without dedicated graphics
Microsoft Surface Pro 7:
- Display: 12.3” Touchscreen with pen input
- Processor: Intel Core i7 10th Gen
- Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics
- Battery life: 11- hours
- Storage: 256GB SSD
- Memory: 16GB LPDDR4X
Most convenient device for multiple purposes and some with touch and type form. Microsoft Surface Pro 7 comes at last of our top picks with sleek design. Microsoft Surface Pro 7 comes with a unique and sleek display that provides great convenience and reliability with a 10 point multitouch screen while working.
It is perfect for software engineers and gamers. The USB ports are perfect for different connectivity and there are other charging accessories. It is light and has a slim and unique design. The battery is enough to maintain heavy work without any disturbance.
- Sleek and slim design
- Long battery life
- High performing
- No Cons
For the software engineering, the laptop should have high spec. All the above laptops are specifically designed for engineers and OEM Lenovo ThinkPad is the best one for this heavy work.
What should be checked for buying a laptop for software engineers?
Before buying the laptop, it is necessary to check RAM, screen resolution, battery life, CPU, graphics, and storage.
Which core is more suitable for programming?
Every processor has a core, and for programming core, i5 and i7 are the best. The core with high value gives more speed and excellent performance.
What should be the speed of the processor for fast working?
The speed of the processor should be from 3.5GHz to 4.0GHz for the fast performance of the processor.